April 30, 2012

Interview with Sari Breilin - Head of BollyBeat!

Sari Breilin is one of the directors of Ek Kahani and also the head of the BollyBeat Dance School. She has been participating in physical activities all her life, including aesthetic group gymnastics and several different dance styles.

Sari has been engaged with Bollywood since 2001. Here in Finland, she has had Sri Lankan and Indian dance teachers. We took a moment to interview her under the pressure of the approaching premiere.

- Sari, you have been involved with different Indian dances for many years. What triggered your passion for them?

- The Indian culture and spirit has been close to my heart for over 25 years now. I fell in love with Indian dancing because of the narrative way the dance is carried out, and its colorful versatility.

- You are the head of the BollyBeat Dance School. Could you share something about the school - how did it all begin and what kind of status it has among the variety of dance schools in Helsinki?

- I established my own company in 2006. In the beginning, I taught classes in two different schools. In the year 2008 I established a school with auxiliary business name called “Bolly Beat Dancers”. Through that, I started teaching classes in cooperation with a company called Tao Bazar, which is owned by my friend Katri Prusila.

The selection of dance classes we offer in the school is still quite small, but it´s getting ever more wide because interest towards Indian dances is constantly increasing. Especially classical dances like Bharata Natyam and semi-classical Bollywood dances have gathered interest.

- What have been your main tasks during the process of Ek Kahani?

Coordinating, creating choreographies, enabling our practices by reserving the time and places for rehearsals. I have also been a contact person of the play whilst being a director. And of course dancing.

- The premiere for Ek Kahani is coming closer. How have the preparations for the play gone so far?

- The timetable is really strict especially during the final days of practices. At the same time there is other work tasks that need to be taken care of on top of the play. Because of the whole work load many people have been working very long hours. But I believe it's all worth the effort. I know everyone has tried their best. Everybody is very enthusiastic about the project and we have been supporting each other. It's only natural that you get tired at times, but then you just rest and gather more energy to carry on.

- As head of the dance school you are also producing Ek Kahani. How has the cooperation been working with Reetta Flink, the main director of the play?

- We met with Reetta some years ago through the dance school. She contacted me by phone and came to a Bollywood class. Our cooperation has worked really well and I have learned to know Reetta and the way she handles work even more through this project. It has been really inspiring to note her deep knowledge about Bollywood, and I think she works very accurately. I have truly learned so many new things with this process.  

I have often had a new kick of motivation after exchanging thoughts and ideas with Reetta, for instance while I´m working at home. Usually I report to her about the proceeding of tasks or ask advice to something. Reetta is supportive yet demanding when it comes to work.

- What has been the best part of Ek Kahani's rehearsals?

- The best part is that nothing like this has ever been done before in Finland! There are no earlier similar kinds of projects or events for comparison. So everything has been created on our own and from a scratch. We have only been hoping for the best, and I can see how everyone has developed.

The best part has been learning new things and moreover, the fact that I have learned to know myself better. I have gotten new friends through this project. We are like a one big family.

- What would you like to say to the people who are coming to see the show on May 5th?

- Come to see the show with open minds. I believe the story will touch everyone in some aspect.

Text by: Tanja Saariaho

No comments:

Post a Comment