September 10, 2012

Interview with Arti Sudhindra - the Strong Mother

Although Arti Sudhindra was born in Karnataka, South India, her roots are in Rajasthan - the land of colors. Dancing became her passion ever since she was a child, and over the years, she has been into dancing, choreographing, performing, and acting. She also hosted a TV show on the local channels in a few cities of South India. 

Arti came to Finland in 2008. She was thrilled to see the Bollywood -love people have in here, and so she decided to contribute to it. 
Currently the lovely Arti Sudhindra works as a freelancer dance teacher, choreographer and performer. Apart from dancing, she enjoys spending time with her family, good humour, rain, snow, listening to soothing music, and many other things!... 

- You are a great dancer - I've seen! - and a popular dancing teacher. Can you tell us more about your career, where did it all start and how did you continue? 

- Well, thank you for the kind words! I am grateful to all the students who have shown interest and trust by choosing my lessons. Talking about my career, I am a graduate in Fashion Designing, but that has nothing to do with my career. I worked as a customer service manager, then as a Business development executive. I was working as a senior quality executive in my previous job back in India, and then I decided to take up the role of a mother, so if you see, there is not really any obvious connection. 


One thing that remained connected to me throughout was Dancing. My mom says I started dancing since I learned to walk. I would like to share something, the memory is still fresh in my mind. I was studying in 2nd standard and was going to participate in the first ever dance competition at my school. My parents got me a new dance costume, choose lovely Rajasthani (North Indian) music for me and guided me throughout; they taught me how to utilize the stage, how much important the expressions are and that above all it is the confidence that makes it a better performance. I just followed what they taught... I won the first place in my first dance competition and it just continued from then on, so it's my parents who laid the foundation and the spark of Dance in me. There was always encouragement from my brothers and sister too. I never realized when it became my passion. I am equally thankful to my husband Sudhi, who continued to encourage me to keep up my passion. after marriage. 

- What does dancing mean to you?

- Dancing to me honestly means Passion, Meditation, therapy, a friend, a stress buster, a great way of expression. I feel it is very important to have the expressions and the confidence. And for that, you have to belive in yourself first.

- You are not only a performer, but a teacher as well. Tell us your thoughts about teaching dancing to others!

- Everyone is a dancer in a way. They realize it when they find the right tune or a music that brings out that dancer in them. Teaching is important for those who wants to take it to the next level. 

- You will be playing the role of the Mother in "Ek Kahani". What do you think the show means for both those onstage and those in the audience? 

- "Ek Kahani" is an event which has changed a part of life for all those connected to it right from the Director to the Extras. It has helped many of us realize our potentials, strengths and weaknesses, added confidence; it's like a baby, when it comes home, you realize so much about yourself and the world around you and then you get so used to it, you start to think how well you can help her grow! And that's what I strongly feel each of us is thinking at the moment - to grow it, and us, to reach the next level… 
Picture by Saija Helin

- What else do you do in life; what are your favorite things, your hobbies, your dreams?
  
- I am a mother of two, I try in all possible ways to spend as much time as I can with my babies and my hubby. Some of the common interests I share with my kids are swimming, watching the moon, and enjoying the snow, rain, and walks… Not to forget playing with Barbie, haha! Hmmm. My dreams are to learn skiing, go scuba diving, and swim with dolphins! But most of all I want to see my kids confident, and be the best in their careers, and be good citizens when they grow up. I think that will make me feel I have achieved everything in life! 
I have already said so much but one thing I definatly want to share is my mantra: "Nothing is Impossible! you just have to decide what you want!" 

Interviewer: Laura Kunnas

6 comments: